East Union High School Modernization Project
Schematic Design ‐ Board Review
Members of the Core Planning Group for the East Union High School Modernization Project will present the recommended scope of work for the proposed schematic design of the project. The Architect, Eric Wohle, of LDA Partners, will review the proposed design as developed while members of the planning group will review process and recommendations for the project.
Over the last several months, the core-planning group has been able to meet several times to discuss the overall priorities of the project and review the identified needs for the campus. The core planning group consists of several individuals including:
- Aaron Bowers, Director of Facilities / Operations
- Justin Geer, Construction Technician, MUSD Facilities
- Raul Mora, Principal, EUHS
- Rosa Souza, Office Manager, EUHS
- Juan Arcos, Head Custodian, EUHS
- John Hopper, Teacher, EUHS Ag Department
- Tristyn Silva, Teacher, EUHS Ag Department
- Annette Taser, Teacher, EUHS Visual and Performing Arts
- Eric Wohle Architect, LDA Partners
From each of these meetings, priorities have been established, and the following schematic design proposal was identified. The project will be constructed in two incremental phases with the first phase including the construction of the following:
A New Agricultural Facility including:
- New Welding / Ag Mechanics Shop & Classroom building
- Expansion of Existing Wood Shop
- Conversion / alterations of New floral classroom
- Modernization of AG science classroom
- New Greenhouse & floral cooler
In figure 1.1 & 2.1 are representations of the new Welding & Ag Mechanics Shop and classroom building.
Figure 2.1 – EXTERIOR ELEVATION ‐ AG SHOP & CLASSROOM BUILDING
In Figure 3.1, the overall site plan is presented. The Architect, Eric Whole, will review the details of the design during the presentation, however, in this figure several major improvements to the project are identified. The proposed layout of the new agricultural facility is shown and to the south, a new access from Northgate avenue to the gymnasium parking lot and to the north alterations to the existing student parking lot are represented.
Figure 3.1 ‐ OVERALL SITE PLAN
In addition to the new construction portion of the project, the modernization of the campus will include the projects previously identified in the District’s 2014 Facility Master Plan and prioritized as health and safety, deferred/major maintenance, modernization and upgrades, and code compliance issues.
The project’s design team has identified within the project’s scope of work improvements to address the following items corresponding with the Master Facility Plan priorities:
- Fire Alarm & Paging systems improvements and replacement
- Construction of a new student drop-off lane from Northgate avenue improving the existing traffic flow within the gymnasium parking lot.
- Major restroom renovations, as required.
- Theatre renovation including new seats, carpet and theatrical lighting replacement.
- Site improvements to resolve ADA compliance issues
- Renovation of several classroom wings including:
- Carpet / Flooring replacements
- Paint and dry-rot repairs, as required
- Roofing repairs, as required.
- Repair, replacement, or alterations to existing utilities and infrastructure as required.
Once the schematic design for the project is approved, the Architect will begin the design development phase. This phase includes the detailed design work for the project. The first increment, consisting of the construction of the agricultural facility improvements is scheduled for DSA review starting in December 2018 with construction scheduled to begin in March/April of 2019.