Homeless Tips

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option



March Homeless Tip of the Month


Can an unaccompanied homeless youth apply for financial aid (FAFSA) without providing the parent’s income and parent signature?


Yes. Youth can fill out the FAFSA as an unaccompanied homeless youth if they:

  1. Are unaccompanied and meet the McKinney-Vento definition of homelessness (lacking a fixed, regular, adequate nighttime residence)
  2. Are an unaccompanied, self-supporting youth at risk of homelessness


Verification is required and can be provided one of the following three people:

  • The school district homeless liaison

  • The director or designee at a federally funded homeless youth shelter;

  • A college financial aid administrator


    To obtain a signed verification form for a current MUSD 12th grade unaccompanied homeless youth who plans to go to college next year, contact Peg Krueger, Lynda Donelson or Leslie Agostini in Health Services.