Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Manteca Adult School

Frequently Asked Questions



·         What types of programs are available?

·         Adult School Diploma (non-accredited)

·         High School Equivalency Testing and Prep Classes

·         ABE (Adult Basic Skills-Education)

·         ESL ( English as a Second Language)

·         Career Technical Education/Vocational Classes

•       High School Equivalency

·         Enrichment courses

·         How do I sign up to attend Manteca Adult School?

·         Fill out a registration form at our main office

·         Take assessment exam-CASAS-if applicable

·         Pay fees if applicable

*Students who have questions are encouraged to make an appointment with the counselor, Larry Machado.

·         What does “non-accredited” diploma mean?

·         The Adult School diploma is not WASC accredited.

·         MAS does not have a school code for FAFSA or Cal Grants.

·         The Military currently will not accept Manteca Adult School diploma as a Tier 1 diploma.

·         What is better, an Adult School Diploma or a GED/HiSET?

·         It depends on what the student plans on using the diploma for:

o   Some employers and post high school institutions will not accept a non-accredited diploma such as a high school equivalency, but others will.

o   It is important to have an idea of what your next step will be before deciding on a program.

·         GED/HiSET scores can be used to access financial aide at post high school institutions.

·         GED/HiSET can be used as proof of high school equivalency at some post high school institutions.

·         Adult School diploma allows the student to check HS graduate or equivalent on job applications.

·         Do I have to earn an Adult School diploma or High School Equivalency in order to attend a “community college?”

·         No. Anyone who is 18 or who had the opportunity for four years in high school is eligible to attend a community college such as San Joaquin Delta College or Modesto Junior College.

·         Remember that Community College courses require tuition and assessment tests. Classes that students are allowed to take are based on assessment test performance.

·         The benefit of taking GED/HiSET/Adult School diploma courses are that they will help students improve the skills students need to perform well on the community college assessments or on any other academic assessments.

·         What is faster, an Adult School Diploma or a High School Equivalency

·         Students will sign up and pay for the test(s) at or when students are ready.

o   Students are not required to take the High School Equivalency prep courses, but it is strongly recommended.

·         The hardest working students in the Adult Education diploma program earn between 45 and 60 credits per year.

·         The amount of credits earned depends on:

o   How dedicated the student is to the program

o   How strong student’s attendance is

o   How much effort the student commits to the program

·         Can I change programs once I start?

·         It depends on the program.

o   Students may be required to show mastery in one program before students are allowed to move up a level.

o   If assessments qualify students for GED/HiSET/Adult School Diploma, Students can change between programs based on need.

·         Am I guaranteed a spot in the program?

·         Enrollment is a first come-first served basis.

·         Diploma students must complete classes within the semester to earn credit.

·         If students fail to attend on a regular basis, students may be dropped.

o   If dropped, students will have to re-enroll and pay any re-enrollment fees that are due.

·         How do I earn credit in the diploma program?

·         Manteca Adult School subscribes to a computer assisted program called Grad Point.

o   Students earn credits based on completion of subject matter course work.

o   Each course has a set number of lessons. Students will have to show mastery in each lesson before they are allowed to move on to the next module.

o   Some courses are sequential. This means that students must complete every lesson and post-tests.

o   Most courses are prescriptive. This allows students to test out of portions of the curriculum when you demonstrate mastery.

o   If a student scores an 80% or better on a pre-test, that student will be allowed to move on to the next lesson. All post-tests assess all lessons within the module.

o   Credits will be awarded once all lessons are completed and post-tests are passed. Teachers will verify that all work has been completed and passed.

o   Most subjects have two five-credit courses.

§  Example: Algebra 1A and Algebra 1B to represent first and second semester course work.

·         Is there Special Education Support?

·         Every student will have access to one-on-one support from the teacher.

·         Courses are NOT modified to reflect a special education curriculum.

·         Special education is a function of the K-12 educational system. Students must exit from special education before eligibility in Adult Education.

·         How do I contact Manteca Adult School?

·         Manteca Adult School is located at 2271 W. Louise Avenue in Manteca.

·         You can look us up online at:

·         Email us at

·         You can call: 209-858-7330