A teacher and 2 students laughing during graduation
  • How to Become a Teacher

    There are two routes to becoming a teacher: the traditional route and intern teaching. If you take the traditional route, you will enroll in a teaching program at a college or university (typically as a full-time student). You will be a student learning the art of teaching by spending time in a master teacher's classroom and gradually transitioning from observer to practitioner. However, the master teacher remains the teacher of record. Becoming an intern teacher allows you to teach full time as the master teacher of a classroom while you work towards earning your credential, usually in night classes. You must complete certain requirements first (see next section) and obtain a full-time teaching job prior to entering an intern program.

  • Intern Teaching


    • This allows you to work full time, making a teacher's salary while working towards your credential.


    • Because you are not going to school full time, these programs are often longer than traditional alternatives.
    • You do not have the advantage of watching and learning from a master teacher. You are immediately given your own classroom.

    How to Become an Intern Teacher

    The Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) has set specific guidelines outlining the requirements to be "Intern Eligible":

    • Possess a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited Institution
    • Complete a Pre-Service Program 
    • Meet the Basic Skills Requirements (i.e. passing the CBEST or one of these alternative methods)
    • Complete Subject Matter Competence (i.e. passing the CSET)

    Once you meet ALL of the above requirements for a Single, Multiple, or Education Specialist Teaching Credential, you are "Intern Eligible" and can begin applying for teaching positions. Once you've secured a teaching position you can enroll in an Intern Credential Program like one of the ones listed below. Be sure to contact the College/Intern Program of your choice to get specific details. This is not an exhaustive list, and you are welcome to search for other programs.

Teaching FAQ

  • Can I teach in California with a credential from a foreign country?

  • I hold a credential in another state but want to begin teaching in California. What should I do?

  • How do I extend my credential?

  • Where can I get more information about the different types of credentials?

  • How do I clear my credential?

  • How do I renew my credential?

  • How do I complete my recommendation after I have finished a program?

  • How do I apply for a credential?