The Board of Education (BP 6185) authorizes Independent Study as an optional alternative instructional strategy by which eligible students may reach curriculum objectives and fulfill graduation requirements.
Independent Study is A voluntary program available to students in Manteca Unified, offering a non-traditional educational experience that emphasizes self-directed learning.
If you are interested in having your child enroll in Independent Study, please meet with their high school counselor or elementary school principal to fill out an application.
Once submitted, a team will review the application and a meeting will be held to determine if a student is a good candidate. If a student is admitted to Independent Study, the student and their family must meet with the Independent Study Program to read and sign an agreement to complete the registration process. Students will not begin Independent Study until the agreement is signed.
(Up to 6th Grade)
90 minutes a day of in-person learning + 90 minutes a day of at home, independent learning = 180 instructional minutes required by the State of California
Jr. High/High School
(7th Grade and Up)
90 minutes a day of in-person learning + 150 minutes a day of at home, independent learning = 240 instructional minutes required by the State of California
- In-person learning will be on-site at the District Office complex with a teacher Monday-Thursday. On Friday, students will meet with a teacher Online via Microsoft Teams.
- Students will not receive direct instruction like they would in a typical classroom, Independent Study teachers provide guided instruction.
- Students are able to contact their teachers for support via Teams while learning at home for guidance.
- All testing will be done in-person.
- Students are evaluated every 9 weeks to determine if they should remain in Independent Study.
- My student has an IEP, are they eligible for Independent Study?
- How long can my child be involved in Independent Study?
- Is transportation provided for in-person class time?
- How are students graded in Independent Study?
- Can my child return to their home school after enrolling in Independent Study?
- Can my children's in-person learning sessions be scheduled at the same time?